Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No expansion before 2015


NRL supremo David Gallop has given the strongest indication yet expansion won’t happen until at least 2015.

It is predicted the competition will increase to 18 teams after a new broadcast deal in 2013.
Bids from Perth, Brisbane, Ipswich, the NSW Central Coast, Central Queensland, Papua New Guinea and Wellington have expressed interest in joining.

Whether that is in 2013 or later will be up to the soon-to-be-formed Independent Commission to run the game.

However, Gallop flagged 2015 the most likely starting point.

“Personally, I would have thought we would get to 18 teams by 2015,” he told ABC radio.

“It might come earlier, but we should be giving our existing clubs a couple of years with the new television money to get themselves stable before we introduce new teams into the competition.”

The looming rights deal is expected to approach $1 billion while Gallop believes any new team would need 18 months to two years to be ready.

Gallop also said State of Origin would remain on a weeknight, despite concerns about the workload on rep players.

“We're certainly looking seriously at moving it to earlier in the week,” he said.

“A Monday night would give the players more days to be able to play club footy after Origin.

“One of the beauties of Origin football is that it's on a weeknight.

“We get clear air [no competition] and we get that build-up time for the players to be in camp.”

To this blog’s chagrin, Gallop ruled out a knockout competition for the Origin period.

Over the next few days: Comparing the expansion bids

No comments:

Post a Comment